Sunday 9 August 2009

Fattoush / Mixed vegetable salad

FATTOUSH
Fattoush is a Middle eastern salad made from mixed garden veggies fried / toasted pieces of pita bread. And this recipe is adapted from MIDDLE EASTERN COOKBOOK by Maria Khalife.

Ingredients:
2 small cucumbers-peeled and diced,
4 sliced radishes ,
2 medium tomatoes,
1/2 romaine lettuce,
4 spring onions-cut into small pieces,
1/2 cup chopped parsley,
3 tbsp chopped mint,
1 pitta bread,
1/2 chopped green pepper,
1 clove of garlic,
1/2 tsp salt,
1/3 cup lemon juice and
1/2 cup olive oil.

Method:
Usually the pitta bread is deep fried till brown and crisp, but as I wanted it to be on the healthier side, I toasted the pitta bread in the oven until brown and crispy. Break this toasted pitta bread into small pieces and keep aside. Shred the lettuce into small pieces. In a big bowl, mix in the cucumbers, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, spring onion, pepper, parsley and mint.
Make the dressing by crushing the garlic in a small bowl with the salt. Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil. Drizzle this dressing over the salad just beforee serving oil and also add the toasted pitta bread and toss well. Serve.

Tips:Usually sumac is also added to fattoush. But I had to skip it because I didn't have it :(

30 comments:

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Very nice low calorie salad

Sailaja Damodaran said...

very healthy....

Anonymous said...

healthy..gr8 combination!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Nutritious salad. Nice recipe.

Katy ~ said...

I have eaten something similar called "bread salad" and it is very good. I like the use of toasted pita bread in yours as the bread is less thick. Looks good. I favor this over other bread salads I have tried.

Anonymous said...

This one I am goin to try soon Faisa..something fresh and lovely dear..thanks

Subhie Arun said...

nice salad yar..neva tried before..thx 4 sharing..will kep foollow on ...ur site..u have wonderful colelctions!

Barbara Bakes said...

I've never tried a salad with pita in it. Great idea!

Pooja said...

Wow healthy lovely salad! Need to try this!

Talita said...

I love meat with vegetables! I'd love to try veal!

Parita said...

Salad looks healthy and fulfilling, i could have this for lunch or dinner :)

Desisoccermom said...

I have had salad with pita and some shredded chicken before. But your version sounds so much healthier than mine. Will surely try it soon. :)

Priya Suresh said...

Very refreshing and lovely salad, looks great!

Saritha said...

I love this,when ever i go to arabic hotel i order this,urs looks yummy

Shaista Tabrez said...

the salad looks lovely..thanks for posting the recipe..

Arlette said...

a very beautiful platter of Fattoush Faiza...
I can eat this any day.... yummmy

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

The salad looks so healthy and colorful. Keep us filled with such colorful, enticing posts.

sangeeta said...

usually i have all the salad veggies stuffed inside the pita but this way more veggies can be accomodated in the meal ....nice way to enjoy both..
the pic is so good.

Bergamot said...

This looks good... nice idea.

eshoboshoaahare.blogspot.in said...

Hey nice salads.. dear... and I love salad very much... ll try yours once... You have a nice blog too.. carry on your lovely job...

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

Very nice and healthy, thanks for sharing.
You have a nice blog Fayza, congratulations !

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Smitha, Sailaja, Sangi, Shanthi, Katy, Ann, Subie, Barbara, Pooja, Talitha, Paritha, Jaya, Priya, varunavi, Shaista,arlette, Gentle Lavender, Sangeetha, Bargamot, Pinky and SOUSOU for all the lovely comments and for so many lovely words of appreciation . It means a lot to me and it encourages me to do better :)
Thanks a lot friends.

chow and chatter said...

this looks so refreshing love it I need to use parsley more I think

kittymatti said...

this looks great dear!!

Purva Desai said...

colourful, healthy and nutritious bowl

Unknown said...

wow.. healthy salad.. nice click..

Sireesha said...

Very colorful nd nutritious salad...

Priya Suresh said...

Freshing salad, prefect for summer!!

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Rebecca, Kittymatti,Purva, Srikar, Sireesha and Priya for being soo sweet and for allthose lovely comments :)

Sanjana said...

I would LOVE this with your recipe for falafel! First time here and I'm loving your recipes, so I'll defo be lurking around here often :p
Great job!

Sanjana from KO Rasoi

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails