Wednesday 29 July 2009

Bangalore Phaal

Phaal/Phall is a well know dish in Bangalore, India. It can be made both with meat/ poultry. But, I prefer using chicken, because it is less oily and cooks very fast. I got this yummy
recipe from my Mommy dear.

PHAAL

Ingredients:
1 kg chicken,
1 large onion,
1 medium tomato,
2-3 green chillies,
3-4 cloves of Garlic,
1 cup chopped cilantro,
1 tbsp of peppercorns,
1 dry bay leaf ,
1 tsp of oil and
salt to taste.

Method :
In a blender / food processor blend Onion, tomato, green chilli, cilantro, peppercorns and garlic with some salt to make a smooth paste. In a kadai heat the oil , add bay leaf and after 30 seconds add the above paste to it and cook for 5 minutes. Now add the chicken and some more salt if needed keeping in mind that some salt has already been added to the paste.Cook till the chicken is done and the gravy thickens. Serve hot with rotis or Naan.

Tips: This curry can also be cooked in a pressure cooker . But, one should not cook this chicken for too long in a pressure cooker,because chicken gets cooked really fast. After closing the pressure cooker , it should be cooked just for4-5 minutes and then open the cooker and cook for some more time, till the gravy gets thick.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

This dish is really new to me Faiza,will have to try it soon...
I have nominated u for the creativ blogger award...pls do visit my blog and accept it...u have a gr888 blog dear!

Carrie said...

Wow, I have all those ingredients in my pantry now! That's so unusual, I may have to give this recipe a try! Don't you just love when green chillies,garlic, and cilantro get together? It's my favorite flavor combination!

Padma said...

Looks simple and delicious... nice recipe Faiza :)

Anonymous said...

Thats a simple recipe but looks too yummy Faisa..and dearie,phaal is new to me..
Rich and thanks for sharing..

kittymatti said...

WOW! U have such a lovely blog dear!! thanks for the visit

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

First time I'm hearing of phal but the recipe sounds familiar

Faiza Ali said...

Sangi, thanks for the award dear.

Carrie, I know..even I love the combination of these ingredients :)

Thanks Padma, Ann and Kittymatti :)

Smitha, Phaal is a common curry among muslims in bangalore. Its easy to make and tastes delicious with roti or paratha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Faiza,
i have come across your blog today, i have learnt phal receipe from my MIL.
In bangalore they say dal, phal bacche paal. It is a favourite amoung bangalore muslims never found this on any other blog.
naz

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

Hi Faiza
you have a lovely blog dear and the dish looks yummy
please stop by at my blog when u get a chance

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

congrats on ur award Faiza

Sanghi said...

Yummy..! Congrats!

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Naz , I was LOL when I read what u wrote ''Daal, phal..bacche paal'' :D Very true. I know....its very common among muslims in Bangalore right? And even I love to eat this with rice and daal.

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Prasu and Sanghi :)

Dori said...

Yum, that looks rich and delicious!

nazia said...

Hi nyc recipe. I love to eat phaal with chapathii as well. My favorite

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails