Thursday 6 August 2009

English Trifle

This was the first time I tried my hands on Trifle, though I have eaten it soo many times. I had never imagined making one at home...But I liked it more than the store brought ones ;)

ENGLISH TRIFLE

Ingredients:
Pound cake/ trifle sponge,
2-3 tbsp strawberry jam,
16 oz whipped cream,
400 g of fresh strawberries,
1 tsp sugar,
1 cup water and
1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

For Custard:
1 1/2 cup sugar,
1/4 cup sugar,
2 tbsp cornstarch,
2 egg yolks and
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Method:
For the custard,in a bowl incorporate the sugar, cornstarch and beaten egg yolks with some milk to make a smooth paste without lumps. In a saucepan bring the remaining milk to boil, remove the milk away from heat and add the above paste to it very slowly, incorporating it with the milk. Return the saucepan and cook over very low heat until the mixture thickens, add vanilla extract. Keep aside to cool until ready to use.
Cut some strawberries into halves and add 2-3 tbsp of sugar to it and refrigerate for 30 minutes until ready to use.
Traditionally sherry is sprinkled on the trifle sponge to make it moist. But..as I don't use it, I made a syrup by mixing 1 tsp of sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract with 1 cup of water.Mix well till sugar dissolves and keep aside.
Cut the trifle sponge /pound cake into slices and place them on the base of a glass bowl. Now sprinkle some vanilla syrup on them and spread the strawberry jam on the slices. Now arrange and with the refrigerated strawberries .Pour custard on these strawberries and finally spread a layer of whipped cream. Garnish with whipped cream and some fresh strawberries.

The trifle can also be arranged in single serving bowls like in the picture on the right side :)






This is my entry for Simran's AWED- Britain started by DK of Chef In You.


27 comments:

chow and chatter said...

love it reminds me of home LOL

Ann said...

Wow this looks awesome!

Preety said...

homemade ones are always better..looks so yummy

Katy ~ said...

Oh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE trifle. I think it is my all time favorite dessert. Yours looks so very good!! I never made the custard from scratch though, so now I will have to be like you.

Shaista Tabrez said...

oh wow, delicious yummy trifle is my weakness...thanks very much for the awards and tag

Sailaja Damodaran said...

nice one for the event

saffronapron.blogspot.com said...

Very nice pudding. i love trifle puddings.

Sree vidya said...

Looks nice Faiza.
Thanx for your lovely comments and regular visit to my blog.

Karine said...

This looks great! Thanks for sharing!

Pooja said...

Looks so delicious! I love trifle! Yet to try it!

Padma said...

Looks awesome... perfect for the event

kittymatti said...

oooh! the presentation is awesome, feel like grabbing it!

Bombay Foodie said...

Looks lovely

Carrie said...

Wow! I don't know what looks better the trifle bowl or the single serving cups... they both look amazing!!

Science Bloggers Association said...

Nice Blog. Congrats.
-Zakir Ali ‘Rajnish’
{ Secretary-TSALIIM & SBAI }
[Editor- Children’s Poem & Adult’s Poem]

Science Bloggers Association said...

Nice Blog. Congrats.
-Zakir Ali ‘Rajnish’
{ Secretary-TSALIIM & SBAI }
[Editor- Children’s Poem & Adult’s Poem]

vidhas said...

Lookds awesome and yummy. Great presentation.

Miranda said...

Very pretty and awesome recipe

sangeeta said...

hi Faiza ...first time here and liked your blog.
will come back to see more of it.

Unknown said...

WOW! So creamy.Its one of the favorite desserts of summer here.I can never make it so perfect.:P

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Rebecca, Ann, Preety, Katy,Shaista, Sailja, Smitha, Sree vidya,karine,Pooja, Padma, Kittymatti, Simran Carrie,Zakir Ali, Vidhas, Miranda, Sangeetha, Yasmeen and Priya for all the lovely comments and words of appreciation :) It encourages me to do better and better every time .

Talita said...

Don't show it to a sweet tooth like me!! Looks really yummy!

Lebouffe said...

Wow.. I'll try the custard part as that is something we like at home! -Naina

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

The trifle pudding is one of my favorite too but I always thought its too complex. You made it seem really easy. The presentation was stunning. Do keep writing in some easy to make desserts. That will really help working moms like myself.

Nithya said...

Looks perfectly yummy... ummmmmm... Wish I could have it. :) will try it out soon.

First time here and should say you have a very tempting collection and lovely blog. keep it going. will be here often.

Do take a peep into my blogs when you find time.

Divya Kudua said...

Yum yum..looks so good..:)

Anonymous said...

how multitudinous people are contributing to this blog?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails