Friday 21 August 2009

Phirni

Phirni is an Indian sweet, made of rice, milk and sugar as main ingredients. Some people soak the rice and grind it to fine paste, and some use rice flour to make it. I learned making Phirni from my in-laws. My S-I-L used to make this very often, whenever we had guests or for parties. It was her favorite dessert And even I just fell in love with this sweet. Simple yet irresistible. So, here is the recipe.

PHIRNI

Ingredients:
1 liter milk,
4-5 tbsp of Basmati rice,
1 cup sugar,
a pinch of cardamom powder,
2 tbsp of ghee/ clarified butter,
1 tbsp of slivered almonds,
1 tbsp of golden raisins,
1 tbsp of slivered cashews,
1/4 tsp of rose water/rose essence and
few strands of saffron.

Method:
Grind the rice into a coarse powder (like fine sooji/semolina). Boil the milk in a heavy bottomed pan with a pinch of cardamom powder and sugar. When it starts boiling, add the powdered rice slowly, stirring the milk with the other hand, to avoid any lumps. Keep stirring continuously for 20 - 25 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the milk has thickened. Remove it away from the heat and keep aside.
In another small pan, heat the ghee and fry the dry fruits-Almonds, cashew nuts and raisins till light brown and add to the dessert. Also add the rose essence and Saffron strands. Mix well and let it cool at room temperature. Chill it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Garnish with few strands of saffron. Best served when chilled.

I am sending this to Sanghi's Fall In Love (FIL) event. I am also re posting and sending the below recipes to the same event.

Instant Rasmalai


China grass pudding

38 comments:

Anonymous said...

All time fav for me too..looks yummy and the recipe i use is almost the same Faisa..Happy Ramadan to you !!

Sailaja Damodaran said...

nice event recipes

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Ann For thee wishes.

Thanks sailaja.

PriyaRaj said...

My Mom used to do this ....wow i love this dessert ......soon wanna to try it da......

priya said...

wow faiza,

looks so yummy...gr8 presentation!

Parita said...

Phirni looks gorgeous dear :) lovely presentation :)

Unknown said...

Amma makes this often. Looks beautifully garnished.

Padma said...

Looks awesome ... feel like having some and nice entries for the event :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Wow thats looking so good and yummy.. nice entries for the event..

Karine said...

This is the first time I heat about it, but I love the combo of ingredients!

Gita Jaishankar said...

This is one of favorite sweets, it has been quite a while since I had it...that picture is too tempting :)

Touria said...

i wish you happy & blessed ramadan

SOUSOUKITCHEN said...

Yummy yum...
Happy Ramadan to you and to all your family .

chow and chatter said...

yummy love Indian desserts we had sweet pongal yesterday

Katy ~ said...

This looks sooooo good! I will try this! Beautiful presentation!

Nithya said...

This is yum yum yum.. I just cant resist.. Love all the sweets.. :)))))))) Super cool post.

Nithya said...

The kid in the pic is absolutely adorable too. :)

Nandinis food said...

This looks lovely and I can't get over my love for desserts! Sweet decoration!

Noor said...

Asalam Alaykum, Ramadan Mubarak!

MM this looks so good. I will try it for sure one day for fatoor.

Pari Vasisht said...

Hi Faiza. The phirni looks creamy and ready to be finished.This is my favorite too.

nora@ffr said...

oh my! vat a delicious treat faiza!! i shud give a try sometime sooner!! my first visit here and m loving every bit of it!
cheers and have a great weekend!!

Indian Khana said...

Wow...U r making me drool....all looks delicious

Yasmeen said...

Ramadan Kareem to you and your family faiza dear :D

Carrie said...

Beautiful! I love how they are garnished with almonds, they look like flowers!

Anam said...

That looks amazing :)

Chef Jeena said...

Lovely recipe it looks really delicious.

Kitchen Chronicles said...

Looks excellent with the garnishing.

Please participate in A.W.E.D German going on in my blog.
http://delightsofcooking.blogspot.com/2009/08/awed-german-event-announcement_01.html

Priya dharshini said...

exciting desserts..happy ramadan

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow....that's an awesome garnish.....phirni is my favourite...looks yummylicious....

lubnakarim06 said...

China grass pudding and instant rasmalai sounds yum too...will comeback to check the recipes...

ST said...

Phirni looks Divine.... .
Soup 'N Juice Event is going on in my blog.Please do participate in it.

Abhilash said...

I think this is similar to seera.. There we use rava and the same recipe instead of rice...

I will try this this sundy... hope so...

:D

Nice blog...

dsdsds said...

Lovely pic.. the garnish is awesome! Badam and Saffron.. makes me drool!

Purva Desai said...

Rich, creamy and delicious dessert

Lena Jayadev said...

Ramdan Mubaraq...fst time here..i never tasted phirni..bt had heard alot about it.. :) wonderful snap... :)

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

Yummy desserts Faiza ...
Have tagged you, do check my blog dear!

farida said...

Faiza, thank you for stopping by my blog.

It's interesting that we have firni in Azerbaijan too. I think it travelled there from India. I am craving it now:) Thanks for the recipe.

sangeeta said...

this is fave dessert too and my daughter eats it almost everyday.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails