Friday 20 November 2009

Soya-chunks Manchurian

I usually make manchurian using cauliflower or chicken. But I wanted to finish the soya chunks that had in my kitchen cabinet for months now. Then, I remembered on of my cousins talking about making Manchurian with soya chunks. And I wanted to give it a try and I am happy that I tried it because it turned out sooo yummy.I made this almost like my gobi manchurian. So, here is what you need ...

SOYA CHUNKS MANCHURIAN


Ingredients:

for the batter:
1-2 cups of Soya chunks,
4 tbsp of maida / all purpose flour,
2-3 tbsp of corn starch,
1 tsp ginger paste,
1 tsp garlic paste,
1/4 tsp black pepper powder,
oil for deep frying and
salt to taste.

for the sauce:
1 onion finely chopped,
5-6 cloves of garlic- finely chopped,
2 green chillies-finely chopped(optional),
2 tsp of white vinegar,
2-3 tbsp of tomato ketchup,
2 tbsp of chilli-garlic sauce,
2-3 tsp of corn starch,
2 tsp of soya sauce,
a pinch of red food color (optional),
a pinch of ajinomoto,
2-3 tbsp of oil,
1/2 cup of water and
1/2 cup of green onions.

Method:
Cook the soya chunks as per the instructions on the packet. After boiling the soya chunks/ nyggets, remove excess water and keep aside. To make the batter- take maida/ all purpose flour in a bowl, add corn starch, ginger-garlic paste, pepper powder(food colour, if adding) and salt to taste. Make a batter by adding water to this. Dip the Soya chunks in this batter and deep fry in oil, till they become crisp.
In another pan, Heat 2-3 tbsp of oil, add chopped garlic and chopped green chillies and saute for few minutes. Add finely chopped onions, and fry for few more minutes, till the onions are lightly browned. Now add tomato ketchup, soya sauce, chilli-garlic sauce and vinegar and mix well. Meanwhile mix the corn starch in 1/2 cup of water and add it to the pan and cook till the sauce thickens. Add the fried Soya chunks and the chopped green onions to the sauce and mix well to coat completely. Garnish with some extra spring onions and serve hot.Tips:
(1) Its always better to make the sauce first and then fry the Soya, this will help in maintaining the crispiness of the fried Soya chunks.
(2) Adding green capsicum to this munchurian makes it more flavorful. I couldn't, because I didn't have any at that time.

I would love to thank Aruna of veggie paradise for sharing this award with me. Thanks ARUNA.

35 comments:

Sarah Naveen said...

ooh!!! that looks so cute and delicious...

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Congrats....very tempting.Can i take a spoon? I liked your new template

priya said...

Love tht color...looks delicious!...congrats on ur award, dear!!

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

That is really mouthwatering and delicious and I have never tried with soya chunks.

Rekha shoban said...

hi, its yum yum! and delicious.

Pari Vasisht said...

Faiza, I have been wanting to make this and urs is tempting me so much.....

Priya Suresh said...

Wow dear, this manchurian makes me hungry yaar, lovely dish, never tried yet with soya chunks will try soon..Ur template looks beautiful..

Soma Pradhan said...

this is really a good recipe to try out...I too have lot of soya chunks at home left..Will make them soon

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Yummy Yumm.... I have not tried this version... but tried a dry starter version..

Tina said...

Healthy one....Attractive and tempting dish...

Ash said...

I was looking for this recipe for quite some time now.... Thanks to you to save me from wasting time & energy hunting.... U saved me....I'm bookmarking it for my reference next to prepare & would surely let u know about it then....& Congrats on that Apt Award......

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Ash said...

U saved me from hunting further for this recipe.... Thanks to you... i have saved it for my next prep.... Congrats for that Apt Award conferred on u....

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Ash said...

U saved me from hunting further for this recipe.... Thanks to you... i have saved it for my next prep.... Congrats for that Apt Award conferred on u....

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Parita said...

Lovely sauce for manchurian :-)

Padhu Sankar said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe .I have never made this at home.Yours looks good.
padhu
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

Katy ~ said...

Love the color of your recipe; it looks so delicious and tempting. I would like to try this!

I really like the background of your blog. So sweet and colorful.

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Sarah.
Thanks sailaja. sure...why 1 spoon? You can take the whole plate :)
Thanks Priya, Shanti, Rekha, Pari and Priya.

Faiza Ali said...

@ Askuku- I am glad ti know that, I helped you save you time dear ;D Do try it and let me know, how it turned out...

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Katy for the lovely comments. I am glad you liked my new background :) I really needed a change from the plain old background.

my kitchen said...

Congrats,Tempting manchurian,never tried using soya chunks.Looks really good

Lavanya Siva said...

Wow, what a healthy dish. Congrats on your award

Malar Gandhi said...

Whooo, man what a color...awesome and very alluring infact, wish I get soya chunks here, I bet it tasted heavenly:)

Dolly Sharma said...

Wow, I love the beautiful colors. Reminds me of Christmas. I can't believe its made with soya chunks. Great presentation and simply delicious...

Vikis Kitchen said...

Congrats on your award dear. Soya chunks manchurian seems so colorful and catchy.

My cooking experiments said...

Reminds me of my college days when we used to get this dish at hotel annapoorna in coimbatore.A fav of mine.Bookmarked.Congrats on ur awards and many more to come.

mona said...

oh my! that looks fantastic!

sangeeta said...

lovely color of the dish and it's so much more nutritious than any other manchurian dish..

tasteofbeirut said...

Thanks for the lovely photos and the unusual ingredients! I have never used soya chunks before and I am intrigued!

Arlette said...

this looks so delicious, though its new to me
never used Soya Chunks before, but your dish is so yummy... very interesting.

Congratulation on your Award you deserve it.

Dori said...

I ate these soya chunks the first time recently and I actually thought they were meat until someone told me... I want to buy some and try them... I will save this recipe :)

Perspectivemedley said...

wow, a different recipe and looks totally tempting!!, very nice :).. looks delicious...

Chitra said...

This dish looks realllllyyy yummmy
and very colorfull and a healthy one.

www.sharemyrecipe.blogspot.com is my blog
do visit when time permits
Thanks in advance...

Unknown said...

Hi Faiza , Thanks so much for following me . This is the first time am coming to your blog and I love it !!! its so yummy . Will surely be trying some yummy dishes from here ! :) Thanks so much again !

vibrantindiatours said...


This is an exotic dish! You are really brave to cook this.
Restaurants in South Delhi

Unknown said...

Look yum! Nice article chef …. Am really appreciate I also have a website about recipes http://hungerszone.com/artichoke-dip/
It can help me to improve my content….

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails