Tuesday 26 January 2010

Ripe Plantain dessert


I have many fond memories of this dessert. I learned this from from one of my SIL (bhabi) who is from Kannur, Kerala, India. She cooks many yummy and authentic Kerala recipes and this is one of those recipe that I learned in the initial stage of my cooking. Would love to learn more recipes from her when I visit India.
I know....I know...this is not how its supposed to be named...but to tell the truth, I forgot its original name in Malayalam....So all my mallu friends out here can help me with the name. This is very easy and quick to cook and tastes very good. But, this is definitely not for those who are calorie conscious :-)

PLANTAIN DESSERT

Ingredients :
2 ripe plantains(nendra pazham),
1/2 cup of sugar,
1 egg-beaten,
1 tbsp of ghee and
a pinch of cardamom powder.

Method:
Chop the plantains into small cubes, add a pinch of cardamom powder to the beaten eggs, mix well and keep aside. In a non-stick pan, heat the ghee on low heat and add the plantains to it and saute till it turns golden brown in colour. Add the sugar to the pan and mix well to coat the plantain completely with it, after 2-3 minutes add the beaten egg to this and a mix well. Cook till the egg is well blended and cooked with the plantains. keep stirring in between, to prevent the dessert from burning. Garnish with cashews and serve hot immediately.

28 comments:

shahana said...

Its my favorite.Even I had kept in my draft to post.My method is also the same.Not only as a snack,we used to have it as a sweet side dish for breakfast items like appam , idiyappam...

Rekha shoban said...

Perfect dessert!! tempting and yummy..

Padma said...

Looks mouthwatering Faiza.

Unknown said...

Wow This Looks Mouth watering,I love this ripe plantains(nendra)so much that I can just have this ripe plantains boiled any time...This is definetly a delight

Parita said...

Platain dessert is very new to me, and looks so good!

Fathima said...

This looks yummy.... I have had different version of this.. will try this one too...

Tina said...

Ihtoru puthiya sambhavam analloooo..Kollam kazhikkan thonunnundu..

Unknown said...

looks delicious..yummy dessert..

Ash said...

Loved it as I had not even heard about it till date.... Really yummy to taste I guess.... As it looks totally cool... with that lovely color & texture..... KUDOS!!!

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Priya Suresh said...

Wow this sweet plaintain dessert sounds excellent , very new to me..

Urmi said...

Desert looks delicious and mouth watering. It is perfect for sweet dish after meal. Thanks for this yummy recipe.

Rachana said...

This dessert is very new to me...looks delicious though:) memories attached with some dishes make them really special:)

BeenaShylesh said...

Looks delicious...with all this Ingredients i prepare a different one....will post it soon..

3 hungry tummies said...

Another great recipe for plantain I have just collected :)

FH said...

Beautiful looking dessert, good one.

SE said...

wow..good way to eat the over ripe plantains...

Nammi said...

nice and simple but looks quite tasty

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

When one speaks of Kerala dishes I never have second thought trying it or tasting it!!! This dish is also one I would love to try looks very nice and its very new to me!!!

Sushma Mallya said...

Something different and a unique dessert...but looks delicious too faiza

Sunitha said...

Adipoli.. looks very tasty...will make it soon.

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

This is very new to me.different yet so simple..looks delicious!
Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Namitha said...

Love this one..But I think it's a North Kerala specialty.So you must ask somebody from North for the name..:D Thanks for this yummy recipe ,Faiza !

Aparna said...

Faiza i m 4rm kannur, but i dunno the name. is it pazham varatiyathu..i luv any dish with plainatin..

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

New to me, simple one...looks delicious.

Katy ~ said...

Sounds delicious. I am going to try this one!

Vineetha Sush said...

Oh my god..I am from kannur and its really a shame that I too dont remember the name..Will defintely let u knw when I remember the name.
By the way it looks simply delicious........

AdukalaVishesham said...

anything with plaintain we are interested :) its so difficult to get good plaintain here in seattle.. and this dish looks really good.....next time when we get good plaintain we will give it a try...

Snow Queen said...

Just bumped into ur blog! And the dish is called pazham valaichathu in our place and I've met some other people from kannur who have different names for this...itz easy to make n yummy for the tummy =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails