Thursday 21 January 2010

Bhel puri

Bhel puri is a roadside popular chat/ snack in India. Though Pani poori/ Gol gappa is more famous than this chat...kids always prefer this yummy chat. As a kid I always preferred this more than Pani poori, the reason being that to eat pani poori, one has to gobble the whole poori at one time :-) and being a kid, it was hard for me to do that :) So, whenever my family would go out to eat Chat, I always preferred to order bhel puri. In the meantime, I have also learned to gobble the whole puri of pani puri now :) Now, I love both the chats equally.
Anyways, coming to the recipe...it has different variation in different parts of India. Some people like to add boiled and cubed potatoes into it, and some even add raw mango to it....one can try any variation a per their preferences..here is how I do mine.

BHEL PURI

Ingredients:
3 cups of puffed rice,
1/2 cup of roasted peanuts,
1 finely chopped onion,
1/2 cucumber-peeled and finely chopped,
1 tomato-de-seeded and finely chopped,
1 carrot-peeled and grated,
1 tbsp of chat masala,
1/2 cup of Sev,
1 tsp of lemon/lime juice,
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves,
2-3 tbsp of tamarind chutney,
1 tbsp of spicy green chutney and
salt to taste.
Method:
In a large bowl put the puffed rice, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, cucumber,roasted peanuts, grated carrot, half of the sev and mix well. Now add the chat masala, a pinch of salt, 1 tbsp of green chutney, 2 tbsp of tamarind chutney, finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. garnish with e remaining sev and tamarind chutney.Mix the ingredients and serve immediately. If prepared in advance, the puffed rice will become soft and soggy so, mix the ingredients together, just before serving.

39 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Feel like grabbing that whole plate and finishing them immediately, my all time fav..lovely click Faiza..

Tina said...

Wow my fav...yummy and crunchy. Nice and beautiful clicks dear.

Aparna said...

mine too..thought of bhel puri yest...let me grab this..

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Hmm..what a wonderful snack to be enjoyed with a cup of masala tea..perfect for the winter:)

Unknown said...

I can just Survive on chats for ever,my fav snack till date...Bhel puri looks mouth watering....

Sarah Naveen said...

Simply superb..Perfect snack anytime...

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Perfect bhel puri and may family's favourite

gtyuk said...

slurp, slurp, looks perfect and delicious!!

I love both pani puri and bhel puri and now, I have such a big appetite that I can even gobble two pani puris at a time, hihhihi

nice recipe!!

SE said...

very very tempting...gosh..its such a mouthwatering dish !!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Just by looking at the picture i'm feeling hungry....Perfect bhelpuri
Deepa

Faiza Ali said...

Thank you Priya , Tina, Aparna, Saraswathy, Ramya, Sarah, Shanthi,
Vinoila, SE and Deepa :)

Parita said...

I wish i cud grab the dish right away from the screen :-)

Unknown said...

my favourite...looks delciious..

Ranjani said...

Yumm!

Preethi Rajeev said...

oops i am drooling now.loved the pic and it looks so yummy.

Rachana said...

I wish I could grab the bhel puri right away:)

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

so so mouth watering! jst want to grab d plate:)
Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Perspectivemedley said...

Bhel Puri is my fav snack :):), it is so so so tempting!!... looks crunchy and yummy!!! :)

San!!! said...

Count me in for this,looks so lovely n inviting faiza.

Siddhi Shirsat said...

wow this bhelpuri luks damn tempting faiza...nice click n very good recipe

Unknown said...

My fav..feel like having some rite now!!looks so tempting!!sherikum kothiyavunu..:D

Hayley said...

Feel like coming to your door and grab that plate..alredy drooling..love the bhel puri..may be this weekend..looks yummy

Namitha said...

My fav chaat..Looks wonderful Faiza :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

The rice dish looks delish!

Padma said...

WOW Faiza.. looks yumm yumm. Feel like grabbing that plate and have them fully in this cold weather :)

JishasKitchen said...

wow...yummy bhel puri..and plzz do collect an award from my blog.

SavithaRaj's Spice Land said...

My favorite..looks yummy!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Looks so yummy dear..pass on that plate please :)

ruchikacooks said...

Mouthwatering..all time favorite..wish I had some chaat now..

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

Bhel puri reminds me of my school days and days when I was working!!! Love to have some now, shall I borrow yours ;) First time here, nice posts!!! Drop by @ http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com...

Deepti said...

whenever it comes to chaat i m always game...yum yum yummy.

Ash said...

WOW!!! hunger bells ringing for bhel bhel..... yummy delight....

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Rekha shoban said...

Perfect for chat!

Sushma Mallya said...

wow tempting click,its one of my fav too...looks very delicious faiza..

PJ said...

wow, looks so good! I wish I had a plate of this yummy bhelpuri right now :)

Lavanya Siva said...

One of my all time fav...Take me back to my college days.......

Ally said...

dear:Collect your well deserved AWARD!

Katy ~ said...

So fresh and flavorful, good textures and crunchiness in this one!

muzthedevil said...

Your post is really amazing.
Bhei puri house

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails