Tuesday 5 January 2010

Black Forest Gateau / black forest cake

I wish all my blogger friends a very very happy and prosperous NEW YEAR 2010..I know...I know..I am wishing very late, but I was very busy for the past 1 week and so, this is my first post of 2010.....Black forest cake..yummmm...it reminds me of my childhood days in India...it was my favourite cake for years, then one day when I came to know that rum/brandy is added to the black forest cake, I stopped buying it from the bakeries, because we don't consume alcoholic drinks or anything with alcoholic drinks. But I always missed eating my fav fav cake :( And I never knew anything about baking then. I came across this recipe which one of my friend had . And I baked my favourite cake at home, without any rum/ brandy and YES, black forest cake is the first cake I learned to bake or should I say this is the only cake I know to bake :) I baked this cake again few weeks back after a long long time (after coming to UK). So, here goes the recipe for my favourite black forest cake...

BLACK FOREST GATEAU / BLACK FOREST CAKE

Ingredients :

For the cake:
1 3/4 cups flour,
3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder,
1 1/2 cup of sugar,
6 eggs,
1 tsp of baking powder,
1 tsp of vanilla essence,
1/2 cup of butter/vegetable oil and
1 pinch of salt,
For the filling/topping:
1 tin of maraschino cherries,
3-4 tbsp of powdered sugar and
3-4 cups of heavy whipping cream.
For the syrup
1 cup of water,
1/2 cup of sugar and
1 tsp of vanilla essence.
For garnishing:
chocolate curls and
whole cherries.

Method:
Pre-heat the oven to 180 C/ 350 F . Grease and flour a 9" inch round pan. In a bowl mix the dry ingredients- flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder and sift this, so that everything gets mixed well and to avoid lumps. Now add the sugar, vanilla essence, melted butter/oil and the eggs to this bowl with dry ingredients and beat until well blended OR the other method is to beat the eggs separately with sugar and essence till fluffy and fold in the dry mixture with the eggs. Pour this mixture into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. let the cake cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. now remove the cake from the pan and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
For the syrup: Boil the water with the sugar in a saucepan for few minutes. the syrup should neither be sticky nor water. Remove from fire, cool it and add the vanilla essence. Cool completely before using it.
Whip the cream and the sugar with an electric mixer until you get soft peaks. Drain the juice from the cherries and preserve 3-4 tbsp for the syrup.Preserve some whole cherries for garnishing on the top and chop the remaining cherries to small pieces.
Now to assemble the cake. Cut the cake horizontally with a serrated knife into 2/3 layers. On the first layer, sprinkle some of the above syrup to moisten the cake. Now spread a layer of the whipped cream and sprinkle the chopped cherries on the whipped cream.Now place the second layer and repeat the same procedure. place the last slice of cake and frost the cake completely with whipped cream on the top and the sides. Garnish with some chocolate shavings/ chocolate sprinkles/ chocolate curls and with whole cherries.
Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving.


Sending this Black Forest Gateau to:
In Love with Delectable Desserts, Pastries and Ice creams hosted by Radhika Vasanth of Food for 7 stages of life and Sudeshna of Cook like a Bong
Show me your cake event hosted by Divya of Dil Se .

48 comments:

Priya dharshini said...

Cake luks awesome..happy new year to u

Perspectivemedley said...

wow, very nice cake, looks perfect!!! and yummmmy!

Namitha said...

This is my fav too :-) Happy New year Faiza !!!

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Wow!!!!!!! my favorite.All ingredients ready to make it tomorrow....

Tina said...

Wow fabulous and perfect dear.....Oru piece ingu poratte...

Pari Vasisht said...

hi. The cake looks absolutely KOOOOL, wish you a happy new year dear.

PJ said...

Black forest cake looks delicious! I wish I had a slice of this right now. Thanks for stopping by my blog; you have a great space here with wonderfully yummy recipes! I'll be sure to visit often.

Rahin said...

its my fav. , looks sooooooo yummy :)

Nammi said...

Wow ! that looks gorgeous!!

Rekha shoban said...

The perfect blackforest cake...thats amazing dear...gr8 job.

priya said...

cool..this looks completely fabulous...my favorite flavor...yummy!!!!!!

Ash said...

I loved that cake.... It used to be my favorite... but now my favorite is chocolate fantasy.... I love the chocolate in it..... Yummy & divine.....

Ash...
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Vineetha Sush said...

This is my favourite too..looks perfect like the bakery ones.

Latha said...

It looks perfect and amazing.....my fav as well, love to have it at any time :).

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh wow!!!That looks terrific ...Yummy yumm!!!

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

I wish you a very happy New Year too. Good to read your first post of 2010 about the black forest cake. I too used to love it when I was in college but now I've got over it. Loved the pic on the blog, so inviting. Great to know that you loved making it.

prasu said...

My new year wishes to u and ur family dear.lovely cake.totally yummy yumm..

Vrinda said...

My all time fav cake...looks gorgeous..

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi Faiza, Happy New year to you dear!
What a pretty cake ! I am sure you are very artistic to make such a perfect one. Keep rocking!

chow and chatter said...

wow this looks so professional great job

Happy new year love Rebecca

SE said...

wonderful and one of my favorite cakes !!! thanks for stopping by at my blog..good to see you on the followers list!

Siddhi Shirsat said...

hey faiza thnx for visitng my blog n following it...hope 2 c u again...i visited ur blog for first tym and loved it...you have a nice collection of recipes...evn i love blackforest cake...ur cake luks damn tempting...nice recipe without using liquor.I am following u to get more such good recipe frm u.
Happy new year

Unknown said...

Marvellous cake faiza...My all time fav...This is a perfect anytime of the day for me.

Recipeswap said...

Wishing u a very happy new year!Thanks for visiting my blog,I find your blog very interesting!Its a very well done cake.looks gorgeous.

ruchikacooks said...

Faiza, thanks for visiting ruchika cooks. The cake looks delicious, I am in with anything chocolate :)

Saw that you are in UK, I lived there too, for four years and it has a special place in my heart.

Faiza Ali said...

Thank you friends for you lovely comments, which encourages me to do more :)

Unknown said...

Hey Faiza,Thanks for the lovely comment...ur blog has a nice collection of recipe,I wanna try many of them.....

Wow Black Forest,Looks amazing and sounds delicious...
this is my favorite cake as well,thanks for sharing such a wonder full recipe....
Happy Blogging and have a great year ahead...

Renuka Bedre - Rao said...

Hi Faiza, perfect black forest cake..very delicious!! Thanks a bunch for lovely comment and following my blog!! Your space is wonderful..I am surely a regular visitor here now..Happy blogging!!

Renuka
http://cookingyummy.blogspot.com/

Sushma Mallya said...

Beautiful cake to start a new year with...wish i could taste it too...

Abhilash said...

Nice to see cakes after a long period of time. When I was in school we used to go to haldirams(a bakery in India) to have these pasteries. We never called black foresta cake but a pastery :) chote bacche choti bathein...

The cake made by you looks super. I miss all these cake but for sure I am going to have a cake today. I want to finish all my wishes until 2010.

lubnakarim06 said...

New Year wishes to you too sweety....nice to see u back with yummylicious cake....cake looks awesome....

lubnakarim06 said...

Love the new look given to the blog....

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous,beautiful and an elegant black forest cake, looks like we get from bakeries...great work Faiza..

Saju Sharfu said...

wow..beautiful cake..happy new year dear

Katy ~ said...

Black Forest cake is a "fancy" cake in this house. Yours looks beautiful and sounds delicious with all the creamy filling and extra step of making a glaze. A labor of love. Well done!

s said...

Its my fav too..this looks stunning!!!

Dolly Sharma said...

Black forest Cake is my favorite. Ur Black Forest Gateau looks inviting and delectable.Also love ur icing. I'm amazed that this was the 1st cake you learnt to bake..As for me I still have'nt attempted to bake this delightful Cake..But looking at ur recipe, I'll give it a shot.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Faiza I wish u had posted this cake during Christmas time. It is very interesting to note that u prepared this cake with any alcohol. Hope to see many such delicious preparations .

In your spare time have a look at my blog also.(http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/)

Anonymous said...

hi nice cake....

Aruna Devi said...

wow yummy cake tht i love most

Ally said...

Faiza:

Your black forrest is simply mouth watering...i say send in a slice thru fedex!

Ally said...

And thankyou faiza for the award, you just made my day!

Padhu Sankar said...

Wow! I love black forest Cake.
Yours look tempting and yummy.

Naarya said...

beautiful!!! amazzing decoration! will be grt if u can post videos of how u decorate your cake!

florist said...

Looks yummyyyyyyy...I love black forest so muchhhh.....Thanks 4 the recipe.... :)

Anonymous said...

Very similar.

Anonymous said...

thank you for this amazing recipe! the cake was awesome! My family loved it!! and tell me to make it more often!! :)

Charley29 said...

Love the food! You’re amazing. This menu is fantastic:) It sure will help everyone who’s looking for a perfect menu like this. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails