Friday 18 December 2009

Stir fried Tuna with spices/ Tuna chikkiyathu

A few weeks back, I saw a tuna recipe on my friend Shab's blog- Shab's Cuisine. And I just loved the Indian way of using Tuna with all the spices in it.. Though I am not a big fan of Tuna..I wanted to try her version, because it looked spicy and yeah..another reason was that I wanted to finish the Tuna cans I had for month ;-) And when I tried her recipe, it turned out very tasty and spicy and Iam sure going to make it again and again. Thanks Shabs for this yummy recipe..I cooked it accordingly, only used vegetable oil instead of coconut. One can refer Shabs recipe here.

STIR FRIED TUNA

Ingredients:
3 tsp vegetable oil,
1 finely chopped onion,
1 finely chopped small tomato,
370 grams of canned tuna/ 2 small cans,
1/3 cup grated coconut,
1tbsp of red chilli powder,
1/2 tsp black pepper powder,
1/4 tsp garam masala powder,
few curry leaves and
salt to taste

Method:
Heat the oil in a pan and add the curry leaves and chopped onions. Saute till the onions turn light brown in color. Add the chilli powder, then the chopped tomatoes and some pepper powder. Cover and cook on low flame till the tomatoes become soft and the masala becomes thick. Drain the tuna and add it to the pan and mix it well to blend the masala with it. Cook for 10 minutes or until all the water evaporates and it becomes dry. Add the grated coconut and mix again and lastly add the garam masala and cook for few more minutes. Can be served with roti and can also be used as a filling for sandwiches as I did.

My friend Asha Latha of ASRA ASHAON KA and Malar of Kitchen Tantra has passed me this cute 'Cheer-leading blog' award. Thanks Asha and Malar for this lovely gift.

12 comments:

Tina said...

Ohhhhh God this is ma all time fav....Tempting and yummy..Perfect filling for sandwiches...

Sailaja Damodaran said...

All time favorite....superb

Rekha shoban said...

the name sounds gud...nice combo with chapathi.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Faiza
Same here, the day Shabs published the recipe I made it and now I am looking for good canned Tuna..simply great with the spices.
have a nice day

Katy ~ said...

Never in my life would I have thought to combine tuna and coconut. But I see a couple of my friends call this a fav, so I would like to try a sample of this, too.

Dori said...

That's new to me, and looks tasty!

Ash said...

Very new..this prep is.... But very different.... & my God! u have a changed kitchen too.... I mean your showcase has a changed look... I loved it....

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Malar Gandhi said...

We call this 'fish podimass'...although use diff' fish back home, here...just like you and your friend' end up making them with tuna (canned ones). Otherwise never been a big fan of tuna fillets. I like your version better...with the addition of tomatoes and masala powders.

p said...

Hi I am not fan either of tuna but why not try this one ? !!
I am Pierre from France; I have opened my food blog recently which is dedicated to inventive french food ! so if you want have a visit you are very welcome !!
see you soon !
Pierre from Paris

Malar Gandhi said...

Dear,

Shared an award with you(which you already have)!!! Please feel free to collect it from me too:)

Dolly Sharma said...

Congratulations on getting 2 awards - one from Asha latha and one from Malar Gandhi. This recipe is new to me. Your Stir fried Tuna looks delicious and inviting.

Also I've not been able to post my comments on ur blog. This has to be my 3rd try. It just gives me an error and throws me out..sad... Lets see if IT likes me now... Anyways I loved ur Bread roll and ur Thai dish.(the comments cd not be posted earlier...)

my kitchen said...

Very new dish to me,will try soon,Taste must be good.Do visit my blog when u find time

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails