Wednesday 16 December 2009

Phat Thai Jay / Vegetarian Thai Noodles

Few weeks back when we had gone out for lunch, for a change we decided to go to a Thai restaurant called Chiang Mai Kitchen. We ordered Thai green curry with rice and a plate of vegetarian noodles called Phat Thai jay. And we just fell in love with those noodles. They tasted very yummy. After returning back home..my hubby asked me if I can learn how to make those noodles? and thus began my search for the recipe on the internet, and I found this below recipe on videojug.com, which gave me the same taste I wanted , the same taste as the Thai restaurant.
Phat Thai jay is basically rice noodles cooked in a mildly spicy tomato based sauce with bean sprouts, tofu, eggs and crushed peanuts.

PHAT THAI JAY
-serves 2

Ingredients:
250 grams of rice noodles,
75-100 grams of Tofu,
1/2 cup of bean sprouts,
1/4 cup of chopped green onions,
1/2 finely chopped red onion,
2 tbsp tomato sauce,
1 1/2 tbsp red chilli sauce,
1 tbsp of fish oil,
1 tbsp of caster sugar,
1/4 cup of coarsely crushed peanuts,
2 tbsp of vegetable oil,
1 egg and
a pinch of salt to taste.

Method:
Cut the tofu into bite sized pieces and deep fry in 1 tbsp oil until they turn crisp and light brown on outside. Keep aside. Soak the rice noodles in hot boiling water for 3 -5 minutes only, just before adding them to the pan.
In a wok / nonstick kadai, heat 1 tbsp of oil on high heat. Break an egg into the wok and scramble it. Immediately add the chopped onion and rice noodles and stir fry for just 1 minute. Now, add the tomato sauce, chilli sauce, fish oil and caster sugar to the noodles and stir fry for another 30 seconds. Now add the fried tofu and mix again. Lastly add the bean sprouts, finely chopped spring onions and the peanuts and stir for another 30 seconds or 1 minute. Serve hot.



Note: Follow the instructions given on the rice noodles packet for soaking them in water. Soaking them too long will make them soggy and sticky.

25 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran said...

very inviting....

chow and chatter said...

oh this looks so good love Thai food

Gita Jaishankar said...

I too tasted this recently at a Thai restaurant...thanks for sharing this yummy recipe...looks so good :)

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Faiza
Very nice dish and photo. But the fish oil, I wont be able to make it for vege friends so I will eat it :-)
Have a great day

Ash said...

Those noodles have oodles of oomph! in them....I would love to try it.....Never tasted Thai though;

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Unknown said...

Pad thai looks delicious..Love noodles..

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Looks very inviting. Thanks for sharing this Thai recipe.

Angie's Recipes said...

I have yet tried this...but I am very sure that I would love it as there is tofu in it! :-))

Rekha shoban said...

This looks delicious..i like to have during raining season

Tina said...

Wow my all time fav food....Looks perfect...

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

looks so delicious.I too tasted this .

priya said...

yum yum.....looks so inviting!

Sarah Naveen said...

I love this..Looks so yummy!!!

Padma said...

One of my fav thai food... looks yummy.

Lavanya Siva said...

Looks delicious, tempting and inviting ......wow

Carrie said...

Yum! I LOVE noodles! This looks so delicious!

my kitchen said...

Looks inviting & Delicious

my kitchen said...

Looks appetizing

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Looks Yummy!

Katy ~ said...

I LUV this dish. Lots of them include a fish sauce which I am allergic to it seems, so it's good to see this delicious recipe without the fish sauce. Excellent, excellent interpretation of this very tasty dish.

Poorna said...

Hi Faiza!
Interesting recipe! will try soon!

kind regards,
Poorna.

Dolly Sharma said...

Looks so colorful and inviting. I love thai food. Beautiful Click.

Parita said...

So yummy dear :-)

Duchess of Tea said...

My darling I wish you and yours all the joy, love, hope, blessings, peace, laughter, miracles, good health and boundless wealth during this holiday season and always.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Dori said...

That looks great! I love noodles made this way :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails