Tuesday 8 December 2009

Kabsat al dajaj / chicken wth rice and tomatoes

Those who visit my blog regularly must have known by now,that I love middle eastern cuisine :) and I just love to try new recipes from the middle eastern cuisine and thats the reason I have become a member of 'Walima cooking club'. :)
On some idle and lazy days I just don't feel like cooking 2- 3 things(main course, side dishes and all) for dinner. And I prefer cooking 1 dish meals, which should be filling and should taste yummy and delicious. And this recipe caught my eyes the other day..for it looked easy and yummy.And most importantly I knew my husband will love it, Coz as he always says ''I am a pure non-vegetarian'' ;-) This recipe is adapted from the book'' Middle eastern cookbook'' by Maria khalife.

KABSAT-AL- DAJAJ

Ingredients:
500 grams of Chicken,
3 cups of Basmati rice,
5-6 cups of hot water,
2 finely chopped tomatoes,
2 finely sliced onions,
300 grams of tomato puree,
4-5 cloves of garlic-crushed,
1 carrot-grated,
1/4 cup vegetable oil,
3 cloves,
3 green cardamoms,
3 cinnamon sticks,
1 tbsp of peppercorns,
4- 5 tbsp of silvered almonds,
grated rind of 1 orange and
salt and pepper powder to taste.

Method:
Wash the chicken, pat dry and season with some salt and pepper. Rinse and soak the rice in water for 20-30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a medium sized pan, add the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and saute for few minutes, add the onions and fry till golden brown. Add the peeled and crushed garlic and saute for few minutes, add the finely chopped tomatoes and cook till they become soft. Now add the tomato puree and the seasoned chicken to the pan. And cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper powder to taste, orange rind, grated carrot and mix well. Now immediately add the hot water and cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken becomes tender. Remove the chicken pieces and keep aside.Add the soaked rice to the liquid in the saucepan. Cover and cook on low heat till the rice is tender.
Transfer the rice to a serving dish and arrange the chicken pieces on the rice and top with some peppercorns and almonds.

I am sending this Yummy Chicken rice to Srilekha's EFM variety rice. And I am also sending the below recipes from my archives.

ARROZ VERDE- Mexican green rice.



MUTTON BIRYANI -Bangalore style



MANSAF -Jordanian rice

25 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran said...

Super dishes for the event.Love the colour of the chicken....

Priya Suresh said...

Delicious rice dishes, looks fantastic Faiza..

Namitha said...

Wholesome meal..good recipe :-)

Sarah Naveen said...

Wow!!! wat a yummy , colorful rice..
All entries look fabulous..

Soma Pradhan said...

This is a new dish for me..looking red hot and spicy..never added rice to chicken except in biryani

Abhilash said...

If this was a try then I should say you are marvellous. The dish looks professionaly made and decorated. I thought this was tried several times.

This is a new one to me. Mostly all recipes that come in thy fellow blogs are new to me. I regret I am not at home otherwise my mother would have prepared all theser dishes for me.\

amma!!! :(

Rekha shoban said...

wow!!nice combo and looks spicy

Faiza Ali said...

Thanks Sailaja, Priya, Gulmohar,Sarah, Soma and Rekha for the appreciating words :)
@ Abhi- You are funny :) Don't worry.I am sure there will be a time, when you will be eating all those yummy food.

priya said...

yummy faiza...looks so tempting, spicy and delicious!

Shabs.. said...

hey faiza...
how are u doing?...long time....Like u, i too love love love middle eastern food!.....Love mansaf too...have been thinking of making some arabic rice dish for long.....Yours look yummy....

Sunitha said...

Lovely and tasty.. wonderful recipe..

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Lovely color..chicken looks so yummy!

Lavanya Siva said...

wow, wonderful tasty and spicy dish.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Chicken seems so tasty and nicely decorated. Other pictures especially the biryani makes me hungry:)

chow and chatter said...

yummy, your a great cook love the new look of your blog as well

Mona said...

The color of the rice and chicken is gorgeous! I love to prepare one-dish meals often in my house too!

my kitchen said...

Nice combo.Tempting one

Katy ~ said...

I think I am going to try the kabsat-al-dajaj chicken with rice. It looks very very good to me. I would like to make this when the allergic-to-everything kid comes for dinner; she can't have almonds (would have to rush her immediately to the hospital!) but everything else would be perfectly acceptable and delicious! This is a wonderful recipe and I am so happy that you posted it! thank you!!

sangeeta said...

lovely recipe with orange zest is must have been a flavorful rice...very different n very delicious...

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Faiza
Thank you so much for visiting and tagging my blog.
This is great...I spent 3 years In Kuwait and I have become very fond of mid-eastern food.
I had quite a few colleagues from Jordan & Lebanon. They used to treat me with awesome dishes.
Now I have the opportunity to learn few dishes from you, Thank you so much!!
Let me see what all you have and enjoy reading and cooking them.
Have a great sunday

Unknown said...

Wow! This is a great array of yummy rice dishes! I love making one pot meals too. Will try these recipes sometime!

Bergamot said...

This is a tasty one-pot dish recipe...

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I have a recipe that is almost a duplicate of this with one exception no cardamom and no cinnamon. I will add the two ingredients next tine I prepare it.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Unknown said...

Interesting and delicious...bet it must have tasted great...can't wait to try this recipe.:)

Muneeba said...

Love the look of all those rice dishes - so comforting and perfect for these long winter evenings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails